Monday, July 21, 2008

Mamma Mia!

I had a wonderful time tonight. I got to go for Girl's Night Out and got to see a movie! It was my first in a theatre since Sean's third birthday, when we saw the Incredibles. Just FYI, he will be SEVEN in October. ;-) Actually, now that I think about it, maybe we did go to another Disney movie when I was pregnant with Sophie. Can't remember. At any rate, it's been a while.

We saw Mamma Mia!
http://www.mammamiamovie.com/main.html
It's a musical "based on" ABBA songs that I fondly remember from my growing up years.

Ok. I know a lot of people who have no use for a musical. But I happen to love them. And even though I love musicals that have music written just for them and sing those songs all the time, I have to say, it was AMAZING how they used ABBA songs in such a fluid way. It never seemed awkward. It was truly just people "bursting" into song because life just gave them something they had to express through music. It's how life should be lived! It was funny, sweet, sappy, touching, energetic, and just really a fun time.
I think all of the cast sang their own songs, and I was amazed (why should I have been?) at how well-acted it was. I definitely felt their emotions (stop laughing at me, Angie!), and I loved that even though they sang on key, they didn't choose the people with the most glorious voices. It made it more fun and believable.
I don't know. It was just such a good time. I will be first in line once the DVD comes out, and hope to get out and see it in the theater again (yes, I'm willing to shell out the $9.50 it costs to see a movie down here!!!). Maybe I'll go by myself so I can sit in the back and laugh and cry without being embarrassed. But if you want to watch it with me, I'll be happy to invite you along. And mom, if you bring your cell phone when you go, just call me and leave it on speaker so I can listen. HAHA.
Really, it was a good time. The best I've had in quite some time. You MIGHT attribute that to the fact that I was sans family, and perhaps you are correct, but I wager that any of my musical friends will agree that Mamma Mia is the reason for my current euphoria.
Looking for the stage show to come to town so Angie and I can go again...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't laughing at you!! I was laughing WITH you. I got a little teary eyed too...so no need to be embarrassed - silly. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it at Tampa Perf Arts Center next month!!

Angie

Lana Mae Kamer said...

I can't wait to see it! Went to see Sex and The City with a girlfriend and that was a similar female bonding experience because there were groups of girlfriends all over the theater cheering and clapping and laughing. Just great! I went to see the new batman a couple days ago with the boys and that was great but Mama Mia-yeah, that's definately a girlfriend experience. Thanks for sharing! Good to see you blogging again...Hey, by the way, I got the smilebox thing to work and put a birthday card on there for my sister. You're a genius!
Hugs!

SeaSaw Mom said...

oh, ok! :-)
I went to see it again when I was in South Bend this week, and although it was still great, I missed not having you with me (but I had to take the chance when I could - no worries about what to do with the kids). I'll get back with you soon on the live performance, but I'm crossing my fingers!

Angelam9674 said...

lol! hilarious that you saw it again already!! i hope michigan was fab...even for work. :)