Sunday, January 27, 2008

Biting the gift horse...


The joy of Michigan winters (at the ski/tubing resort). Sean didn't like tubing, but he enjoyed the snowbank in the parking lot. Sophie likes the outdoors, but she wasn't prepared to be out for long.

Sophie at Chuck-E-Cheese, and Sean with SpongeBob. Just some pics of "fun" we've had recently.

Now onto the story...

We have an offer on the house, and it's even half-decent. Yeah!!!! Oh no!!!!!
We've accepted the offer, and now it's just up to the bank. They want to give us 30 days from the date of closing to get out. So...assuming the bank is smart and accepts the offer soon (because what else do we have to give them?!?), we will be looking at moving before the end of March. Which puts us in a quandry. Where should we even LOOK for a place to live? Our current city would be a smart choice for now to keep Sean in the same school for the last couple of months, but there aren't a whole lot of choices - especially choices that don't make us sign a year-long lease. The nearby Big City would be nice if we wanted to rent a house, since there are several options; however, to move so close and yet make Sean go to a different school seems cruel and silly.
Florida could possibly be an option, but with as many job prospects there as here (read: none), it seems like an awfully big jump and a lot to ask of my employer, even though they seem open to the idea of people moving around and keeping their jobs. Plus we know nothing about housing down there. What if we can't afford anything [decent] on what I make? There's the big question. And I guess it fits, no matter where we look.
Mom says we can go there, and NY seems like not a bad option (free rent and such), but again the issues of the school and my work. Plus she doesn't have any emotional strength to help us deal with any of our problems, and actually seems to be trying to create some discord (sorry, Mom, but it's true) and will not be very supportive. I love her, and I even want to be there, but I don't know of it would be best for our family.
And I'm tired of making the wrong choices. There are so many options and none of them seem terrible, how am I to know which one will be best?
And I don't really want to leave this house, this neighborhood. I know that's selfish. But this house has been a comfort lately, and I don't especially want to leave. Or pack. Or have to make another decision.
But I will. And y'all can tell me "I told you so" later.

1 comment: