Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Our eventful couple of days




So...perhaps you will recall (if you bother to read these rambling things) me mentioning the fact that Sophia was supposed to have a chest x-ray. At her 6 mo checkup, the doctor could hear loud breathing sounds (you didn't need a stethoscope to hear them) and just wanted to be sure that her lungs were ok in light of her week-long stay in NICU when she was born and that we'd been dealing with this since late January. He said "no rush" for the xray and gave me a prescription for Clarinex because she'd been dealing with this runny nose and periodic cough for a while. So last week, the Clarinex seemed to start working and I started feeling yucky with my own throat ailment and I put off taking Sophie for her xray. Sunday evening she reminded me just how badly I needed to take her.
She coughed a bit through the day and it seemed like the Clarinex might not be working and I thought I would take her in on Monday night. I put her to bed, and about midnight she started coughing and gagging. I got scared and off to the hospital we went. They had told me when I called last week that they were open 24/7 and to go to the emergency entrance to be let in, but it was a bit more complicated than I imagined to explain that I was there in the middle of the night with an infant but I didn't want to go to the emergency room! Eventually they let me in - after Sophia woke up - and down to radiology (Peds radiology WAS closed, just FYI, but they didn't blink an eye to let her in the adult dept). It took 15 minutes to check her in, and about 5 to get the xrays (by the way, if you are ever told you need xrays, 1 am may be the time to get them...I was "next-in-line"!). She was so well-behaved that the ladies doing the xrays thought she was adorable! Of course, she looked like a half-naked princess on the little chair with the high back that she had to sit on (sorry, no pictures). They told me the doctor would have results in 3-5 days (so much for the frantic ride to the hospital!) and sent us on our way.
Much to my delighted surprise, Sophie went right back to sleep for the ride home...of course, I fed her a bit before we left and then she "sang" herself a little moan song first, but for her, that's EXCELLENT! She is not fond of car rides, especially in the dark.
Later Monday morning, I called the dr to let him know we went in and that Sophie seemed to be getting worse yet again. He wanted to see her, so at 6:30, we finally got in to see him. Lo and behold, the xray results were already in. It showed "slight inflammation" that he wasn't worried about, so at least that's good news. He doesn't know what to do about the runny nose and cough, though, so he referred us to an allergist. He says he's seeing more "snot-nosed kids her age" (my dr is cool - those are his exact words) without explanation, so even though he's disappointed the medicine isn't working as well as he'd like, he thinks that's the best solution. So now we wait until May 29, and hope that this clears up in the meantime. She's so bad this morning that she won't even let me touch her nose to wipe it (but she does stick her tongue on her upper lip to catch it - hahaha!).
That's all for now - time for school and the dr for Sean and I!

No comments: