Thursday, June 7, 2007

Our Tribute



I'm not sure if you've guessed or not, but we are not necessarily a "typical" family. (No, REALLY?!?!)

A lot of that quirkiness comes from my dad and his mom. Chip may go along with our oddities - definitely one of the reasons I love him so much - but many of our misadventures come from a long line of Peck/DeVries genes.


Tonight we paid a small tribute to my grandma (yes, my dad's mom - are you following along?) because it was recently the 5th anniversary of her death. Most people probably wouldn't think of a "Kentucky Colonel" picnic in a cemetery of as a proper tribute, but it was SO her.


And not just because she loved chicken. We forgot the drinks, forgot to ask for plates at KFC, and danced the macarena.

(didn't believe me, did you?)


We also did the hokey-pokey. And the chicken dance. Alas, I was too busy eating with my fingers and sharing spoons to take photos of those. We had a good time with loved ones and made the best of what we had.

Grandma, I hope you are looking down on us with great happiness. Your quirkiness lives on...even though I don't ask every restaurant I go to what I can get for free to give my grandchildren (I think that is hilarious, and yet really, wouldn't it be nice if everyone thought of their loved ones enough to get them gifts absolutely everywhere they went?).


Here's to you. Lots of love from your grand (and great grand) children. And your son.

No comments: