Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My First Grader



Sean began his first day of 1st Grade on a good note...we got lost. Well, we technically knew where WE were, but we couldn't find his teacher. I guess they think that after Kindergarten, parents automatically know where their kids are supposed to go. We walked in with such confidence that the ten or so "helpers" didn't even bother to ask us why we were wandering around inside while all the other kids were outside. We're just goofy. But at least we finally found his teacher's line, and we got to get a picture of him in front of his room while we were looking for everyone!
He says he's not a first grader anymore - he's a pre-second grader. Isn't that great?! One day in class and he figures he knows it all.
Oh, and in case you wonder, the lovely flame-covered item in the photos is Sean's test divider. Since the kids sit at tables, they need a way to have privacy when taking tests. Sean picked out his own fabric to cover it (and boy was that an ordeal...he wanted one of each fabric (especially fond of ones with skeletons, and the flaming skeletons especially - I told him the girls at the table would be too scared to take tests with that cover) and then he wanted me to buy fabric for a blanket...maybe next time). Of course, he had some help from dad, but I think it's pretty cool.
The highlights, according to Sean:
*He didn't get to eat his pudding because they wouldn't let him have a spork since he didn't pay for hot lunch (never fear, he ate it for an after-school snack!).
*Math was easy - 1+1, 2+2, and 3+3
*Taylor (one of his female tablemates) called him "a turd" (I really wish I had been there to hear why, but I'm laughing anyway...)
*The fire truck on the playground was "cautioned off" because too many kids were getting stung by bees
*He made a calendar
*The teacher kept getting Hannah and Anna confused (poor teacher!)

That's about all I know about it - he was too busy playing to find out much more. He seemed to be having a great time, and I'm excited to hear more each day.

1 comment:

Gracie said...

Hey, I totally want to know how to do the embedded slide show thing. I've been begging Lana for days (okay, I asked her twice). so maybe you can tell me sometime??
And I'm so sorry i didn't have more opportunity to talk with you when you stopped in yesterday. I was a bit preoccupied as I was on my way to my other job for the weekend...anywho, it was delightful to see you!!