Saturday, September 8, 2007

Week in Review

It's been a busy week. Here's an update:

I started a new job a week ago. It's part time, but every day, and I'm doing a lot of online training at home, too. I'm working a lot in Excel and I feel like I'll be pretty proficient in that program before long (the temp agency thought that I did well in the initial testing - 84 or something like that - and I knew so much less then!), but it's a lot of work doing the tutorials and looking for ways for the new learning to fit into what we do there.
It's a neat job. I've never really been in "corporate America" before. I'm right in the heart of the city and have to worry about parking, and the company is one of the top ten accounting/consulting firms in the country with offices all over. It's cool, but I feel a bit like a fish out of the tank. Glug, glug. Everyone I've met is nice, but I'm really glad I'm getting along with and getting to know the two gals I work with/for most. They are great!

Chip passed his test on Thursday, so now he's officially a "Certified Project Manager" and hopefully someone around here will hire him because I don't REALLY want to go so far away from family, and I really like my job and all my co-workers...but if I have to go, I guess Tampa's not too bad, and not much more than an hour away from the happiest place on earth (which I could use a bit of right about now!).



Sophie's taking more and more steps on her own (but she likes to dive into us better than walking to us), and she's taking after me more and more each day, which of course you know is not a good thing! :) She is very LOUD. I'm going to have to start wearing earplugs if I don't want damage!!
Her chatter makes people laugh, though. It's so adorable. She says many of the same sounds over and over again, so we know she's trying to tell us something. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to post a video here so you can hear her, too.
Besides her volume, her hair also seems to be from my side of the family. It is growing longer and is still fine, so it sticks up in all directions a lot of the time.



Sean started first grade this week. Tuesday was good; every day after that he asked us to call him in sick! Friday he even had specifics - "My head's hot!". "Yes, Sean, it's 90 humid degrees. Of course your head's hot. Get out from under the covers and get dressed. In your shorts." He's a real card. We're working on the bedtime and hoping that's the issue. Of course, they're also reviewing the alphabet, and numbers up 'til 10, both of which he's known since he was 3, so boredom is quite possibly an issue. He said his Tuesday Spanish class was "stupid" because he just listened and then drew a picture of his house (he didn't even laugh when I said No - you drew a picture of your CASA!). Gym on Wednesday was boring because he only got to do "rubberband warmups" and didn't get to do anything fun. He liked music class on Thursday and says he has a silly teacher who tucked the banjo back into "bed" when he put it in the case, and talked to it and said it could come back out soon. He must have had a special class on Friday, too, but I don't remember what it was. I'll have to ask and keep you posted. "Oh, it was art", he says. "It was stupid. Actually, it was fun. It was fun stupid. It was fupid." His exact words. "We just drew lines with black paint. Zigzag, curvy, strait, and diagonal." "The teacher said we had to carry our pictures by the corners to the drying table, because it was by a fan and if we didn't hold the corners, it would fly into our faces and get black lines on our face."


We've also had grandmas on both sides go to the hospital this week. One is home and doing better. Gram "Kraaker", however, just seems to keep getting weaker and weaker. If it's not one thing, it's something else. Her visits are getting more and more frequent, and sadly, it seems she may have lost her fighting spirit. I think we'll see if she's up to visitors sometime this weekend.

2 comments:

Trevor said...

"(he didn't even laugh when I said No - you drew a picture of your CASA!). "

I did.

:-)

- Trevor.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q. and R. were removed.

SeaSaw Mom said...

I knew YOU would! Thank you for your support! :-)